The Voices We Need to Hear

Just as there are voices we must not listen to, especially that of our own inner critic, there are other voices we need to hear: those of what I like to call our Soul Posse. These are the people who are always there to listen, who never tell you to give up, and who remind you to remember the best of yourself.

In his book On Writing, Stephen King speaks of a time when his mother told him a story he'd written was good enough to be in a book. "Nothing anyone has ever said to me since has made me feel any happier," he writes.

I have been blessed with many such moments from friends and loved ones alike. One day my own mom told me in the middle of some pity party I was throwing for myself, that I musn't ever stop writing. An email I received from a friend who is an executive in television production said in of a spec script I'd sent him of New Girls: "If I were hiring for this show, you'd be a staff writer today." And sometimes it's just as simple as a dear friend reminding me that I'm beautiful and talented.

In Writing Down the Bones, Natalie Goldberg talks about having one friend who would come to all of her readings that she enlisted with a special task. She asked this friend to be the first to run up to the podium when the reading was finished, and hug her and tell her how great it was. Later in the week, she'd invite constructive criticism on what could be improved for the next time, but for that moment, she needed to feel that support, and hear that reinforcement. I have friends who would do that for me.

But the other day, I recalled something that a practitioner of spiritual healing said to me. I was struggling with making a living and writing, which is, of course, my passion. First she told me that if I wanted to write, then I had to get up every day and write. I said that I just didn't know. She answered emphatically, but not without love, "You do know." Yes, I do.

Open the door and tell your best story with one of my workshops.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, She Is My Heart

Only in New York