Strange Planet - Trees

Sometimes ideas latch onto me and will not let go. One day, for no particular reason, my mind drifted back to a day (or perhaps a composite of days) when I walked straight through New York City's Central Park from the West Side to the East Side. That didn't happen often,  because I only had two friends who lived  on the East Side and once they were gone, only an occasional visit to the Met drew me over there.

When I thought back to those occasions, I found myself wanting to write about the trees. There was one path closer to the West Side I think, where the trees formed a canopy over the walkway. I was struck by how protected I remembered feeling almost as if the trees were caring for me and mothering me. And I wanted to write about it.

It wasn't a short story I wanted to write, but a poem. Now mind you, I have never (successfully) written a poem that was borne out of a direct attempt to write a poem. That is to say, any decent poems I've ever turned out simply presented themselves to me to be written and like a good recording secretary, I listened and transcribed them. That's not to say that these poems didn't need rethinking, revising and extreme editing. But there was no gnashing of teeth and general internal wailing I did in my determination to write about the trees in Central Park.

Finally, after many horrible false starts, another poem mercifully presented itself to me. It had trees, but they were the poplars that grew in a straight line alongside the house I grew up in.
Well then that evolved into a partial tale of my childhood which included my relationship with the Joyce Kilmer poem "Trees" and the teacher who made her class memorize it. Clearly that was the story that I needed to tell in the writing of that poem.

Many snippets of memories of New York city call to me, including the trees in Central Park. Who knows whether they will ever speak to me as poems or find their way into my stories. But I'll keep listening.

What places call to you?


Open the door...tell your best story with one of my workshops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, She Is My Heart

The Voices We Need to Hear